Re: [OM] Someone's making OM Caps!

Subject: Re: [OM] Someone's making OM Caps!
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 17:34:50 -0700
Joe found the idea of suggesting that he produce top and bottom plates flattering, but amusing.

I had also asked him about paint and he had this to say:

"I had a local paint supplier mix up a special blend to paint the caps that we are selling on eBay, but this stuff has to be put on with a spray gun. "

"The paint that is a close match to the Olympus paint is made by Plasti-Kote CO Inc, they are located on Medina, Ohio. Their phone number is 1-800-431-5928. Their web address is www.plasti-kote.com <http://www.plasti-kote.com> . The paint is # 361 semi gloss black. For what it is worth, we use their machinery gray paint to paint our machines, it's at least as good or better than most of the factory paints that the machine builders put on their machines. It wears like iron. I called them to see if I could get the paint in bulk, but they only sell it in spray cans. It's hard to paint a large machine with spray cans, it's hard to get it to blend in right, and after about the third can you think that your finger is going to fall off."

Moose

Bill Stanke wrote:

Moose,

I recently bought a new bottom plate from the Olympus Guy (New Old Stock).

Producing bottom (and especially top) plates is probably not cost-effective
for a small shop.  There might be a small market for plates made of
titanium, rather than brass (OM-1 Ti anyone?).

I like the idea of a re-painting service.  I've done this myself, and
haven't been satisfied with the color match or durability of the finish.