Re: [OM] OM Bodies and Lenses FS

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Bodies and Lenses FS
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 10:19:37 -0700
On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 01:06:14PM -0700, Winsor Crosby wrote:

 And  what is with that R8 big bertha? The M7 is sweet though.

I´d want to report about a interview of a Leica developper.
He said that the size of the M8 was carefully selected.
Leica-R-lenses are solid, big and heavy. So They need a
appropriate counterpart. It is not OM system.
The two interesting things: R6.2 and R7 died because the
manufacturing of the shutter was discontinued by the supplier.

Asked about the small quantities for selling R-lenses due to
offering only one Body, he emphasized that Leica is well
specialized to handle small baches.

Frieder Faig

P.S.: OM-content:
It seems that Olympus thinks very different :-|

Well, the R8 is grotesquely huge next to the R4, R5, R6, R7. Not just
OM.  Leica-R-lens weight was not a problem with those models
evidently.

You touch on an interesting point that has bothered me for some time.
Olympus designed a very nice, but mass produced camera with the OMs.
And according to some contracted out the production and produced as
many components as it estimated it would need to supply its market.
Yet the price of the new cameras eventually moved to within spitting
distance of a Leica which is a carefully made small batch camera. I
never understood that.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California