Re: [OM] opinions on 50/2 macro

Subject: Re: [OM] opinions on 50/2 macro
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 11:59:45 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 18:23, "james olson" <jolson@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Thank you for all your responses on my original question.  To clarify my
>original
>posting, I love the quality of the 50/3.5 for normal photography, but I find
>it too slow for the low light, handheld shooting I enjoy doing.  As I have a
>50/1.2, I was pondering selling the 50/3.5 and 50/1.2 to acquire a 50/2 if the
>feedback seemed very positive.  (I'm trying to get 1 lens at each focal length
>I want, and have less lenses.)

But James, you still haven't said whether you use the lens(es) mainly
for their 50mm ability or for their MACRO capability.  If you are
just comparing 5xmm lenses (with or without MACRO capability), you
really have a lot of choices from Olympus, many of them faster than
the 50/3.5.  But if you must have MACRO then the choices are limited
to the 50/3.5 and the 50/2.0, both of them are slower than the 50/1.2.

I can understand trading off the 50/3.5 against the 50/2.0; but I
really don't understand why you keep trading off the 50/1.2 against
the 50/2.0 because to me, they do different things.