Re: [OM] focusing screen questions

Subject: Re: [OM] focusing screen questions
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 12:35:31 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Marten Beels wrote:

>               Which brings me to the 1-11, how do
> those cross hair focusing aids work?  Neither my 2n
> nor PC have diopters which the eSIF says need to be
> adjusted to use this screen properly.

The cross hairs are there as a focus reference point for your eye.  The
centre of the 1-11 and the entire 1-12 screen are clear.  Focusing is
done on an arial image of the subject.  The eyes have a natural tendancy to
wander if you stare at an image long enough, and with an arial image you
may end up focusing on the wrong plane.  By checking that the two parallel
lines in the cross hairs are still visible, you ensure that your eye is on
the correct plane.
                                        -mark