Re: [OM] First Attempt at Concert Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] First Attempt at Concert Photography
From: "Mike Cormier" <ronaldcormier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 08:54:02 -0400
In most concert shots, there is low light on a somewhat small subject surrounded by ALOT of black. The center-weighted meetering will average this and come up with an EV much lower than if the subject were metered independently, hence the background will come out too bright and the subject too dark. To compensate you have to overexpose a bit... although with film this is much less critical than with slides.

-Mike Cormier

Overexpose? I understand using spotmetering on the artist's face. If I'm
then using an averaging meter where the artist will generally be more
brightly lit than the background, wouldn't I want to 'underexpose' the
overall scene to approximate correct exposere of the bright object?