Re: [OM] BG2 Questions for the experts...

Subject: Re: [OM] BG2 Questions for the experts...
From: Pschings@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 08:58:02 EDT
Cc: Curtis.P.Hedman-1@xxxxxxxxxx
Curt,

I tried to answer some of your questions below. I rarely do flash without the
BG2, it's one of my favorite accessories.

"A question for the list: How feasible is it to use a BG2 with a winder 2? I
just obtained one (Thanx to Dick Locke), and am trying to puzzle things
out. Without the winder attached, the BG2 grip can clearly be set up on
either side of the camera body, though the ttl auto cord t (o.1 m) only
reaches the ttl port on my OM-2S with the BG2 on the left side... with the
winder on, the m.grip cord only works with the BG2 on the right side
(looking from the rear) - i.e. the same side as the winder motor (I have a
longer auto cord coming, to solve this dilemma). Then too, with the winder
in the setup, the flash is hardly elevated above the height of the hot
shoe.... though it is certainly farther from the lens axis, which should
help red eye."

The longer cord is the right solution. I usually use a 0.3M cord. I've never
had problems with redeye with the BG2, even when used with a Winder.

"I figure I can fabricate a custom 'm.grip cord' that would be long enough
to reach the jack on the BG2 with it on the left, even tough the trigger
switch would then be under my thumb, rather than index finger...."

That should work fine. I find it's easier having the flash on the right,
leaving my left hand free for focus, zoom, and aperture adjustments. That is
more typically what I use my left hand for, so it's more natural for me.

"So how do people use the BG2? what do the five different mounting screw
holes in the base plate equate to? Different bodies, winder vs motor drive?
How do you handle the camera/BG2?"

I usually use the mounting hole that keeps the flash furthest from the body.
With my right hand on the BG2 and my left holding the lens, I find that the
further apart my hands are the more stable my grip. Let's face it, and OM
body, winder, BG2, T32, 8 AA cells and 4 C cells, plus a lens (typically the
35-70/4 when I'm doing flash indoors) is a handful.

Get that longer TTL cord (either the 0.3M or the 0.6M coiled one) and you'll
be in good shape. The T32 really comes into it's own when it's mounted on the
BG2.

Hope this helps a little.