Re: [OM] First Attempt at Concert Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] First Attempt at Concert Photography
From: Ian Nichols <i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 22:19:42 +0100
In article <4.3.2.7.2.20020523123447.00cc9100@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   John A. Lind <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Last weekend I shot a local benefit concert held in a small club.  My
> first "real" attempt at any form of concert photography.

I'm surprised you left it until this late in life, John.

> Used Tri-X at
> EI400 and had planned to use the 85/2 and 50/1.4 on an OM-2S.  Based on
> "available light" references, normal stage lighting would allow f/2 or
> f/2.8 at 1/60th or 1/125th.  Quickly learned their lights are not
> nearly as bright as other stages!

Most small places aren't :(   1/30 at 2.8 is about the best I've ever
managed in these situations with ISO400.

On the whole, I reckon you done pretty good.  The lighting at least looks
like it was set up to illuminate the musicians, which is something I
rarely find - usually there's only the front-person illuminated brightly,
and even then only when the stand right up to the mike, whilse everyone
else lurks in the shadows.

I've had good results from both Delta 3200 and TMax 3200, so they're
definitely worth a try.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |              http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/         |
|  \-/| |  /  |                 i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           |
|             *                   i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx               |