Re: [OM] First Attempt at Concert Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] First Attempt at Concert Photography
From: "Mike Cormier" <ronaldcormier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 10:33:01 -0400
Ok... DUH!?!

After reading my own response I realized I have my argument backwards. My apologies for leading everyone astray... it is a stop DOWN, not up. Since the camera calculates an exposure value (EV) that is too low, it tries to compensate by leaving the shutter open longer, which will brighten your shots too much and also kill detail with an exposure time of (probably) more than 1/30... so, you trick it by OVERexposing a stop which lowers your exposure time. As for differences in the 2 shutter curtain reflectivity patterns, I use OM2n's, not an OM-2 so it has not been an issue for me. However, given the lattitude of film, I doubt it would affect things much.

With slides, some experimentation might be in order, but in such low light conditions, I'm not sure slides would be all that great a choice. Musicians rarely hold a pose & the generally longer exposure times that would be required to use a tight grained slide film would render it impractical... perhaps if you used fill flash and a faster slide emulsion like Kodak Elite Chrome 200 you might get fast enough shutter speeds, but I doubt it & the fill flash wouldn't represent the concert lighting properly.

But man, I wish I could us some Velvia 50 on some concert shots... the results would be spectacular if the subject would just hold still enough for a good tripod shot... :)

-MC

In most concert shots, there is low light on a somewhat small subject surrounded by ALOT of black. The center-weighted meetering will average this and come up with an EV much lower than if the subject were metered independently, hence the background will come out too bright and the subject too dark. To compensate you have to overexpose a bit... although with film this is much less critical than with slides.

-Mike Cormier