Re: [OM] Re:XA-3 repair help needed

Subject: Re: [OM] Re:XA-3 repair help needed
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 22:55:44 -0700
on 5/17/02 8:22 AM, Michael R Gray at michaelrobertgray@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello All
>
> I'm new to the list.  Just recently decided to mess
> about with my XA-3.  Took the clamshell cover off to
> have a look at modifying the 3-point fixed focus
> adjustment machanism.
>
> Problem is, I can't figure out where that tiny metal
> cylinder goes.  I know it sits between the cover and
> the body somewhere, but anyone have any ideas where?
>
> I'm no doubt gonna offend some dudes out there, but my
> usual camera's a Canon AE-1.  But the Olympus is the
> beast - the beast - when it comes to compactness.  And
> so weighty and solid!
>
> Regards
>
> Mike
> London

As you look at the top of the camera, in the middle of the top left of the
shutter release, where the clamshell slides back and forth, there is a small
rectangular hole. The metal cylinder sits in that hole, and as you slide the
clamshell cover back and forth there is a notch at each end of travel that
'clicks' the clamshell into place. To put the clamshell on start it at the
front bottom, *slightly* spring the back side up and wrap it over the top of
the camera. Do this with the clamshell somewhere between closed and open,
and with the metal cylinder set into the little rectangular hole. I used a
dot of silicone grease to stick it in place. Snap the clamshell into place,
and slide it back and forth to make sure you get the click at both ends of
travel. You do know that you have to take the bottom off before you take off
the clamshell? (and reinstall clamshell before bottom) XA cameras are really
pretty simple inside, but very tightly packed. I have a couple of
'bags-o-parts' as part of my learning curve...
--

Jim Brokaw