Re: [OM] UPS or USPS for shipping large/heavy item....

Subject: Re: [OM] UPS or USPS for shipping large/heavy item....
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 20:56:41 -0700
on 5/16/02 12:56 PM, Daniel J. Mitchell at DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

>> Can anyone with experience shipping a large box let me know
>> which is usually cheaper?
>
> You can work this out yourself if you know the size/weight of the thing
> you're sending:
>
> compare
> http://wwwapps.ups.com/servlet/QCCServlet?iso_language=en&iso_country=US
> http://ircalc.usps.gov/
>
> Guessing completely that your enlarger weighs 20lbs, USPS is $86 for 2-3
> days, $83 for 4-7 days, $41 for 4-6 weeks.
>
> UPS wants post codes for both ends, so having guessed completely at that,
> it comes out as $141 for 1-2 days or $131 for 4-5 days.
>
> In other words, USPS is _way_ cheaper.
>
> -- dan

Watch out for 'dimensional weight' and also absolute size restrictions. USPS
has combined length and circumference must be under 108" or some drastic
surcharges kick in...

Once you get up to the $100 for shipping, you might want to check with a
trucking company i.e. Yellow Freight or Roadway Express. Sometimes for a
bulky and/or heavy box they can be cheaper... if the buyer doesn't mind
going to a local freight terminal to pick up the box. Also, pack securely as
they don't always handle things carefully (well, I guess UPS and USPS have
their problems, too).

Best with very heavy/bulky items is to strap it to a pallet, you can ship
100lb on a pallet pretty cheaply, relatively speaking. My point mainly is to
not restrict yourself to only the UPS/USPS/FedEx class of carriers when
shipping heavy or bulky items.
--

Jim Brokaw