[OM] Water shots and vacations

Subject: [OM] Water shots and vacations
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 08:02:23 -0700 (PDT)
Well, unless some unforseen thing comes up, we will be leaving
next Thursday evening for points north.  The past couple months
have been extremely rough with my new job and other things.
This is a much needed vacation.

Anyhoo, the first night we'll do a late arrival in the Duluth,
Minnisota area and then the next morning travel over to the
Porcupine Mountains in Michigan.  We'll tent camp for three
nights there and then travel 30-40 miles south of there to the
Wisconsin/Michigan border to camp on some tiny lake.

This particular area is packed with waterfalls so I'm
contemplating my Tope 10 picture.  The problem is that I didn't
want to make just another pretty picture for Tope 10, but
something totally unique.  How do we prevent cliche shots?  Such
a wonderful subject (water) is somehow an extremely difficult
thing to shoot.  I've got a few pre-conceived ideas of shots to
get, but I think some sitdown time at a couple of the waterfalls
will be required.

Backpacking:  I'm going to setup my pack that will be used in
September for my Isle Royal trip for a trial run.  I'm planning
to do a dayhike across the Porcupine Mountains and have the
girls pick me up on the other side.  I'll learn whether or not
some of my packing techniques are out of date.  Also, I'll learn
whether or not my monopod is acceptable as a walking stick.
(doubtful, but who knows).

Equipment/Film:  I'm also contemplating a very minimalistic
equipment selection for backpacking.  Two bodies and two lenses.
 Life would be so simple if I took just the 35mm and 100mm
lenses.  However, igottacarryitcauseihaveit-itis might rule.
Lenses are pretty small and lightweight.  My trial run will
determine some basic capabilities. Film?  Ilford Pan-F is my B&W
of choice this month and either Velvia or Portra will be my
slide film.  Leaning towards Velvia.

The new tent arrived yesterday.  Kinda broke the bank getting a
new family tent.  My wife is a bit claustiphobic, so our other
dome tent--although accomodating of all four of us, wasn't all
that comfortable.  Bought a brand new dome tent design that is
17'x12' and 7' tall.  If THAT isn't big enough for us, nothing
will be.  Fed-Ex delivered it yesterday.  Heavy and big.  I'm
glad I don't have to backpack it.  We're going to leave the Jeep
home this trip and take the 4WD MPV.  Much roomier, quieter and
comfortable.  However, no off-road adventures.  Rats.  Well,
maybe something minor, but as long as it doesn't bang, scrape or
threaten any sheetmetal.  I'll be taking the Mountain Bike, so
that should help matters.

AG-Schnozz