Re: [OM] Water shots and vacations (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Water shots and vacations (OT)
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 19:32:39 -0700

Bears can be unpredictable because you can never be 100ertain how they will react. The vast, vast majority of Black Bears will run at the mere sight of a human. Furthermore, the mere presence of humans will keep them away from the vicinity. However, some bears become what is known as "campsite bears". These bears learn that where they find humans, they can also find easy food in coolers, garbage, etc. While these bears do grow accustomed to a human presence, they will usually run if confronted.

Some of the "campsite bears" in Yosemite Valley years ago didn't fit your description. I encountered one that walked through the campsites at night taking whatever it wanted and completely ignoring banging, yelling, flashing lights, horns, etc. It had no interest in people, but I had the distinct impression that I would end up flat on my back with bear tracks on my body if I didn't get out of the way (I did, get out of the way, that is). After many years of agressive enforcement of rules designed to keep bears from ever eating, and getting accustomed to, 'people food', it seem Yosemite has new generations of bears that are less troublesome than in the 'old days'.

Although bear repellent is all the rage these days, a much more effective safeguard is a simple small airhorn (the kind that work from a small can of compressed air). These will usually send a bear running before they get anywhere near to you.

Maybe Canadian bears. Maybe just falls under the 'unpredictable' category?. Ever notice that people fall into that category too? ;-)

Moose (...can be unpredictable and dangerous too, but are way cuter!)