Re: [OM] Water shots and vacations (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Water shots and vacations (OT)
From: "Bruce Hamm" <bhamm@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 16:50:11 -0400
I've had my fair share of run-ins with bears over the years. My closest call
with a Black Bear was in the early 80's while I was working in the bush in
Northern Ontario. One night, I was awoken out of a deep sleep by noises
immediately outside my tent. Quite frankly, I was more angry than smart at that
moment and decided to get up and give a piece of my mind to whoever woke me up.
As I crawled out of my tent, I came nose to nose with the culprit....a bear. I
don't know who was more startled, but I jumped back into the tent, zipped up
the door and climbed back into my sleeping bag in a heartbeat (as if it really
would have done any good). Fortunately, the bear had no interest in me or my
accomodations.

Bears can be unpredictable because you can never be 100ertain how they will
react. The vast, vast majority of Black Bears will run at the mere sight of a
human. Furthermore, the mere presence of humans will keep them away from the
vicinity. However, some bears become what is known as "campsite bears". These
bears learn that where they find humans, they can also find easy food in
coolers, garbage, etc. While these bears do grow accustomed to a human
presence, they will usually run if confronted.

On very rare occasions, people encounter what is known as "predatory bears".
These bears differ from others because they literally view humans as prey.
These are usually large males that have had little to no previous experience
with humans. The majority of human fatalities due to bear attacks involve
predatory bears.

To put the risk of Black Bears into perspective, about 37 people have been
killed by these bears in North America over the past 100 years. Statistically
speaking, you have a greater chance of being killed by lightning or bee stings
than Black Bears in the wild.

Although bear repellent is all the rage these days, a much more effective
safeguard is a simple small airhorn (the kind that work from a small can of
compressed air). These will usually send a bear running before they get
anywhere near to you.

Bruce Hamm
Ottawa, Canada
bhamm@xxxxxxxx