Re: [OM] Re: 250 f/2

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 250 f/2
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 23:47:46 -0400
First off, I have to admit that I can't afford it so this is "sour grapes".
But from careful reading of Gary's site, starting at 200mm, you will not get
anything like excellent results unless you have a very sturdy tripod, focus,
frame, lock the mirror, then pre-fire the aperture.  This doesn't sound like
sports photography to me.  Nor does it sound like rock concert photography
(about which I have some first hand experience).

So, if you have to go through all of that to get a minimally sharp exposure
with the 250/2, who would use it?  What the heck good is it?  Would you want
to shoot Half Dome in mid-winter from a mile away?  Like I said, I can't
afford it but I got rid of my Tokina 400mm because even using the tripod
mount on my previous (rickety) tripod at 1/250 on 400 speed film in DAYLIGHT
(open shade) I couldn't get a non-blurry picture.  I suspected that the
tripod was the chief culprit but Gary implies that the OM bodies themselves
(blasphemy alert!) are not suitable to super-tele work.  Why would I buy a
250mm in a mount that's not compatible with super-tele work?

Gary implies that a heavier body would be an asset.  Maybe at 200mm and
above, a heavy Nikkormat is the tool of choice.  If I used a Nikkormat as a
hammer to beat my OM-4, I know it would be...... uh.... a short fight.

Lamadoo