Re: [OM] Re: 250 f/2

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 250 f/2
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 00:56:24 -0700
Methinks the sour Lama doth protest too much.

Jim L'Hommedieu wrote:

So, if you have to go through all of that to get a minimally sharp exposure
with the 250/2, who would use it?  What the heck good is it?  Would you want
to shoot Half Dome in mid-winter from a mile away?
ME! It is certainly possible to get good results with long lenses with good technique. I just got back some shots of Yosemite, including Half Dome from a mile and more, that look very sharp at 4x6 using 300mm. I haven't had a chance to look closer yet, but based on experience, expect to have several nice sharp images. If I don't have a tripod, I always try to use a monopod, tree, car window (engine off!), etc., if available.

Like I said, I can't
afford it but I got rid of my Tokina 400mm because even using the tripod
mount on my previous (rickety) tripod at 1/250 on 400 speed film in DAYLIGHT
(open shade) I couldn't get a non-blurry picture.  I suspected that the
tripod was the chief culprit but Gary implies that the OM bodies themselves
(blasphemy alert!) are not suitable to super-tele work.  Why would I buy a
250mm in a mount that's not compatible with super-tele work?

Was the Tokina any good? Tokina makes some good lenses, but was that one OK? Gary has later said (in the last few months?) that his tests of the long teles were not really representative of what they can do. Shooting with a 'shakey' tripod can give worse results than handheld while leaning against a support.

Gary implies that a heavier body would be an asset.
Speaking of heavier bodies, one thing Gary never investigated in his tests is the value of polymorphous organic wetware damping systems, i.e. the photographer. Oly states in the instructions for all their teles, "Also, to prevent camera shake: When using a tripod, hold the camera steady with both hands and press the shutter release with the ball of finger, not with the cable release."

If I used a Nikkormat as a hammer to beat my OM-4, I know it would be......
uh.... a short fight.

Appropriate choice of tools, Nikkormats are for hearvy duty hammering, while Olys are for taking pictures. Of course, I would never use my Nikon F2a or FG as a hammer either. Come to think of it, I never use them at all. I think I ran a roll through the FG 3-4 years ago?

Lamadoo