Re: [OM] Caution on John Hermanson

Subject: Re: [OM] Caution on John Hermanson
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 01:51:24 +0000
on 5/4/02 4:51 AM, Matt Haber & Jane Diamond at solstice@xxxxxxx wrote:

> John has a long history of helpful information and a good reputation
> on this list, so when my OM-1 stopped syncing properly, he
> seemed a natural choice for a repair.

OK, I'm with you here...

> After 4 or 5 months, and cash about equal to the retail value of the camera, I
> had the camera back, and used it on a commercial shoot. Big mistake. Still
> didn't work. I let John know, and he agreed to fix what he didn't.

Seems like a fair thing to do...

>Smarting
> from a botched job, I waited a while (ok, more than two years), with
> the OM-1 pretty unusable to me (as a studio shooter, all i use is
> strobe).

Well I think you needed to send it back right away... waiting is kind of
from another perspective ignoring a good-faith offer to fix the camera... If
you dent your car, don't report it to the insurance company for two years,
the call them before deciding to sell the car, they will probably not be too
sympathetic to fixing the damages... after all, if you were willing to live
with it for so long it becomes a 'pre-existing condition' at some point.

> I finally decided to sell the body. I asked John to follow through on the
> repair he'd not completed (I offered to pay for parts), so that I could in
> good faith sell a fully working body.
>
> John refused. He said, in so many words, that he didn't legally have
> to, so he wouldn't.
>
> The bottom line seems to be that John will take the time that he
> wants to "fix" cameras, but won't allow a comparable time
> multiplier for to follow through on failed repairs.
>
> -matt

I can't agree with you on this. John took about 8-10 weeks to CLA an OM-2s
for me, I thought that was a long time but it is far from the only body I
have so I didn't mind. He did do a good job on it, and the price was
acceptable. I don't expect him to fix a problem after months and months of
use after return to me, if he has a standard warranty period I would expect
him to honor a repair during that period. If he returned the camera to me
and I was not satisfied with the repair (definitely *not* the case for me!)
I would expect him to 'make good' on the problem quickly, and I wouldn't
discuss it and then decide to hold the camera for an extended time without
following through from my end in returning it to him to give me satisfaction
in a timely manner.

I think after two years you are being unreasonable about expecting a repair.
IF you had returned it *immediately*, then I would agree that it would be
reasonable to expect satisfactory repairs in a short period of time, all the
shorter because you had waited once already. But that is not the case in
this instance; by waiting two years you IMO have forfeited your follow-up
repair.

That's my opinion on this...
--

Jim Brokaw