Re: [OM] Lithium Ion batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] Lithium Ion batteries
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 15:09:37 -0700
All the devices that I use with LiIon batteries (computer, cell phone & digital camera) are relatively sophisticated digital electronic devices that incorporate circuitry (a dedicated chip, I think) to actively manage the battery. I suspect that you can't just put LiIon cells into a device with a 'dumb' charger for NiCads and expect them to work correctly. I think it could even be hazardous, with danger of fire.

Moose

Tris Schuler wrote:

Here's a question, John. What is the potential for lithium ion technology for power packs and such down the road? Is it theoretically viable, is the only stumbling block getting these units in shapes and sizes which would accommodate various electronic devices?