Re: [OM] OM1n metering (unhappy)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM1n metering (unhappy)
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 22:42:21 -0500
Olympus List wrote:

> I just got 4 rolls of my slide film back..  Most were too dark, except
> for the ones that were in bright daylight.

First, check your battery.  Your OM-1/OM-1n was designed to use 1.35
volt mercury batteries, which are no longer commonly available.  The
typical replacements (625U or 625A) are 1.5 volt alkaline batteries.
The higher voltage will cause the meter to read too high, and as a
result you'll underexpose you film.

Unfortunately the error caused by the higher voltage is not linear --
that means that you can't correct just by using a different ASA, for
example.  The degree of error depends on the light level.  Unless your
camera has been modified to operate properly with the higher voltage
batteries you will need to either obtain some short-lived zinc-air cells
("hearing aid" batteries) packaged for this purpose or an MR-9 voltage
converter to install in the battery chamber along with a type 76 (silver
oxide) battery.

Second, be aware that light entering the eyepiece of the OM-1/OM-1n will
deflect the meter -- in some conditions, several stops.  Again, the
meter will read high, resulting in underexposure.  This is paticularly
evident for those of us who wear glasses, but can happen to anyone.  Be
sure to check the meter's reading before and after you shade the
eyepiece with your hand or use an eyecup whenever you're shooting in
bright light.