Re: [OM] OM1n metering (unhappy)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM1n metering (unhappy)
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 18:37:22 -0700
Albert, I don't remember which Oly you have. I do remember that you are rather excitable and tend to jump to major conclusions over simple problems. We heard many complaints and rants and speculations about the overall quality of Zuiko lenses, etc. etc. all over a faulty filter. Properly adjusted, with the proper battery not on its last legs, the light metering systems on all OM cameras are accurate and effective. Since you got mostly overexposed pictures, and assuming that you were using the meter correctly, by far the most likely reason is a problem with your particular camera's meter, rather than all OM-? meters. If the Chevy doesn't start and my neighbor's Ford does, it doesn't mean that I need a Caddie, I may just need a new battery.

Trouble shooting suggestions:
Correct asa/iso film speed set?
Exposure compensation at 0?
Correct battery(s)? (Om-1, 1.35v mercury, unless it has been adjusted for 1.5v, then silver oxide like all other OMs) Batteries fresh? Alkaline and lithium voltages decline with age, use silver oxide.

Having checked all the above, put the Oly and the Minolta side by side pointing at an evenly lit wall and compare the exposures their meters show. If the Oly shows a significantly lower (faster speed and/or higher aperture number) exposure recommendation, the Oly is out of adjustment and needs service. Short term, you can just adjust the exposure to match by altering the asa/iso dial.

If the exposures agree, the problem is in the camera or lens. Did you use more than 1 lens? Are the exposure problems the same with different lenses? A lens with sticky aperture blades will show the symptoms you describe. The aperture blades don't open all the way, thus underexposing shots where the camera/operator call for a wide aperture, but being sufficient for bright scenes where a small aperture is called for. Set the lens for it's smallest aperture, look through it and push the DOF button. The blades should close and open all the way freely.

If none of the above, you have a very rare shutter disease and need service .

If you have a 20-30 year old OM-1 or 2, it's time for a CLA anyway.

Moose

Olympus List wrote:

I just got 4 rolls of my slide film back.. Most were too dark, except for the ones that were in bright daylight. As much as I love my OM, my friend who took all his pictures on his Minolta 9, has PERFECT exposure... And it almost makes me want to move to a wonderbrick. As far as sharpness, he uses all tokina lenses, and they were sharp, his zooms and my primes look no different, when the metering was dead on. So, any suggestions??

Is the Om4Ti's metering a lot better?? I hear it's great, and now it's making me wondering if I should move to a different camera body, as this one is not providing me with what I want/need.

Albert