Re: [OM] An ephiphany

Subject: Re: [OM] An ephiphany
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 16:27:17 +0200
On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 07:08:41AM -0700, AG Schnozz wrote:
> > Someone mentioned using the spot meter to ensure that the
> > scene can be
> > recorded satisfactorily on the film...
>
> NOT SO FAST!
>
> Spot meters have to be used very carefully with slide films.  In
> the world of B&W photography, spots rule.  With negs, you are
> interested in capturing as much desired tonal range as
> possible--regardless of where "18%" would land.
>
> With slide films we may use spot meters to CONFIRM the range,
> but what is most important is that the "18%" value be recorded
> correctly as "18%" on the film.  If there is an 18% value in the
> scene, we can spot meter on it, though.

On this subject I`m a John Shaw follower. I don`t care weather
a subject really reflflects 180f light. Rather I decide weather
I want it to apper as 18%-value (mid-tone) in my slide.

But confirming the range of a contrasty scene and contol the
apperiance of the other parts of the slide is importend for me too.

Frieder Faig