Re: [OM] An ephiphany

Subject: Re: [OM] An ephiphany
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 16:19:51 +0200
On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 11:58:38PM -0700, Richard F. Man wrote:
> Someone mentioned using the spot meter to ensure that the scene can be
> recorded satisfactorily on the film...
>
> Duh! Why didn't I think of that? Arggh, that would have saved me so much
> grief!!!
>
> So how many stop-spread (zone range?) does a typical slide film (e.g.
> Provia 400) or print film (Superia 800) have?

I use mostly slide fim and use the general 4 stop-spread rule:
+2 stops = white
-2 stops = black
Very handy with the spot metering of the OM-2S/ OM-2sp.

The OM-4 highlight /shaddow-function  uses some what more spread.
Most slide film are in the 4..5 stops spread area, but do capture
a bit more. I don`t like to go to the extreme.
I´ve noticed that pushing a film reduces the stop spread.
But I think pushing a film isn`t a good deal with my
 mass-marked-processor at all ( bad color shift..., well it was only a try)

But the stop-spread differs from film to film. Print film usually
captures a much wider range, but the copy proceccs usualy
 only use a 4..6 stop range for the prints.

Frieder Faig