Re: [OM] Shoe 4

Subject: Re: [OM] Shoe 4
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 13:25:31 -0700
on 4/15/02 6:44 AM, Norm Nadel at ns.nadel@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Subject: Cracks on Shoe 4
>
> It seems obvious why the cracks occur. Was this a goof in the design by
> Olympus or did they make the angle of the shoe legs a bit too narrow to get
> a secure fit?

I think you're right about that... there is a slight mis-match in the
included angle of the shoe and the angle of the pentaprism cover metal. This
may have been engineered to insure a 'snug-looking' fit.

> Has anyone filed down the inner surface of the sides slightly to prevent the
> cracking?

There are little rubber pads inside there... do you mean to remove the
rubber pads, file, then reinstall the pads? That might work, kind of like
the 'hand-fitted' parts alleged to be used by Leica in the past.

> I plan on leaving mine a bit loose unless I want to insert a flash. At that
> time I will tighten it down.

Only problem I see here is if its a little loose will it get looser and drop
off sometime, maybe without notice until its too late to recover it. Those
things are not as inexpensive as they should be anymore.

> I suspect that this has been discussed numerous times. Can any one point me
> to the thread or, if none available, give me your comments or suggestions.
>
> Thanks.

You're welcome.

--

Jim Brokaw