Re: [OM] An ephiphany

Subject: Re: [OM] An ephiphany
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 07:08:41 -0700 (PDT)
> Someone mentioned using the spot meter to ensure that the
> scene can be
> recorded satisfactorily on the film...

NOT SO FAST!

Spot meters have to be used very carefully with slide films.  In
the world of B&W photography, spots rule.  With negs, you are
interested in capturing as much desired tonal range as
possible--regardless of where "18%" would land.

With slide films we may use spot meters to CONFIRM the range,
but what is most important is that the "18%" value be recorded
correctly as "18%" on the film.  If there is an 18% value in the
scene, we can spot meter on it, though.

With my OM-4 (oh lonesome me), I determine the exposure for B&W
negs by getting spot readings on the highest and lowest values I
desire to record on film and a third spot at what I think is my
midtone.  Using manual-exposure mode, I adjust my
aperture/shutter speed until the high/low dots are within the
+/- 2 stop marks.  If both are within the marks, I'll center my
third middle-tone spot.  Slicker than snot.

Slide films are so much different.  Although you can use the
same methodology, your success will be based more on luck than
science.  Essentially you're just averaging some values--which
your camera already does in non-spot mode.

AG-Schnozz