Re: [OM] Kodak 25 ASA color print film

Subject: Re: [OM] Kodak 25 ASA color print film
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 09:09:26 -0500
At 01:03 4/12/02, you wrote:
What happened to Kodak 25 ASA color print film? I have been out of 35mm photography for many years (as you can tell- the local lab tells me it went out about 5 years ago). Is anyone making good 25 to 50 ASA color print film these days?

Thanks,
Lee

Lee,
You must be referring to Royal Gold 25 [a.k.a. Ektar 25]. It was discontinued a few years ago . . . with attendant wailing, gnashing of teeth and rending of clothing among its very devoted users. It was the finest grain color negative made and was among the first of the slow films to meet its demise at the hands of Kodak's push to reduce its emulsion portfolio.

Other slow film obituaries you've missed:
  Agfapan 25
  Agfa Ultra 50
  Kodachrome 25

The only slow color negative film I'm aware of [ISO < 100]:
  Konica Impressa 50

Couldn't find diffuse rms granularity numbers for it, but the MTF curve and resolution numbers (in line pairs per mm) look decent. With the MTF curve above 100 0n the lower lppmm numbers on the MTF chart, it should have a high apparent sharpness.

-- John