Re: [OM] 135/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] 135/2.8
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 15:35:05 +0200
On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 09:38:23AM +1000, Marc Lawrence wrote:

> Anyways (yes, this gets back onto the subject), I've been
> looking for a 135mm lens to go with it for quite a while
> now, but not wanting to shell out at the moment for the
> Zuiko 135 2.8, I've been looking at other, much cheaper
> brands (stay with me, folks!). I've looked at Hanimex
> and *really old and dirty* Tokinas and Makinon and
> K-Mart's Supercheap Plasti-Fantasti Optolens (okay, I
> made the last one up), but they've been either cruddy
> or haven't worked (not shutting down the aperture
> blades).
>
> Well, I was going to give up, but decided to buy the
> "lesser" Zuiko 135/3.5 at the place I put my camera in.
> It seems absolutely spotless, everything seems to turn/
> shutdown/rotate etc. completely smoothly.
>
> I'm disappointed I didn't get a 2.8, but the build quality
> of this lens relative to the other third party lenses is
> making me much less unhappy. I know it's not the greatest
> of lenses in the Zuiko-swag, but I'm favouring Zuiko for
> all future purposes (wonderbrick excepted).

Congrats to your decission. I prefer Zuiko`s over
third party lenses. Not because of optical quality,
but for the better feel, which results from the way and
quality of the  mechanics.
Taking photographs is my hobby, so the joy of using the
equipment is importend part of it. Don`t worry about a
lens reputation. Most quality differences are not relevant
in pratical use.

Frieder Faig