Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes
From: Joshua Putnam <josh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 21:37:36 -0800
Charles Sdunek wrote:

At 08:15 PM 3/24/02, you wrote:

I admit you have made a logical point, I would like to suggest though, that while you seem to be interested in recording the world as it is, I am more interested in expressing the world as I would like it to be.

Seems to me that a camera always records the world as it is. It is a mechanical device after all, not a paint brush. Beyond framing and the usual camera adjustments there is not much room for expression in making the exposure.

Well, I certainly did not mean to dismiss anyone elses work. Each person expresses themselves in thier own way. What I meant by "expressing the world as I would like it to be", is that I look for a place, or a thing that inspires me to take the photograph, and by framing it the way I like I cut out the things I dont want there. By waiting until the lighting is exactly as I want it (or pretty close anyway) and then making my exposure, I have recorded one perfect moment in my eyes and not the millions of others. I can present a view of my own little world within our world as a whole.

There certainly is a lot a photographer can do to make a photograph *not* an unbiased representation of the scene as it really was, from composition (excluding artifacts we don't like in a natural scene) to filtration (your eyes don't really have a polarizer, or a warming filter, or a graduated ND, etc.) to manipulation in the darkroom (dodging and burning, contrast manipulation, etc.)

Personally, I'm split in my preferences for landscapes, either extremely fine-grain films like Technical Pan to record excruciatingly fine detail, or infrared films that record a scene like no one has ever really seen it. Take a look at, for instance, http://www.phred.org/~josh/photo/isw_view.jpg -- that's not what the view looks like to human eyes if you go there and look at it, not at all.

--
          josh@xxxxxxxxx is Joshua Putnam
            http://www.phred.org/~josh/