Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE: Landscapes
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 17:15:06 -0800
At 06:18 PM 3/24/02, you wrote:

While this is true that one could stand anywhere and make several technically good pictures, that does not mean that the artist will be inspired to take them.

That's the artist's problem not mine. Not making pictures of life around you is easy. I spoke to something else.

Tris

I admit you have made a logical point, I would like to suggest though, that while you seem to be interested in recording the world as it is, I am more interested in expressing the world as I would like it to be. Especially when the purpose seems to be, at least to me, to share our best work done within the timeframe and within the guidelines..

Charles

Seems to me that a camera always records the world as it is. It is a mechanical device after all, not a paint brush. Beyond framing and the usual camera adjustments there is not much room for expression in making the exposure. To characterize making a photograph in a less pleasing environment as mere "recording" and making a record in a more pleasing environment as some expression of the ideal seems odd and and out of synch with art since about the 14th century, not to mention dismissive of some one else's efforts.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?