RE: [OM] Test & introduction - 50mm's

Subject: RE: [OM] Test & introduction - 50mm's
From: Wayne Shumaker <shumaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 15:41:58 -0500
Paul, check the following site, if you have not seen it already:
http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

This resource is just a guide, of course. From here you can see the
sharpness of the 50/1.4 sn>1,000,000 is pretty good, and has been
discussed in super depth here on the list. Most earlier 50/1.4 lenses
are not that great, especially compared to most MC 50/1.8's. In
practice I tend to use the 50/1.8 for it's light weight and small size,
especially when traveling. Both the 50/1.4 and the 50/1.2 diaphragms
have stuck on me. I finally took the 50/1.2 bayonet mount off and found
that the coupling ring inside was jamming, it was not sticky blades as
I had thought. After my adjustment, it has not given me a problem, but
also I have not used it a lot either. (I will have to get it out and
play with it.)

Each lens has it's own personality. The 50/2 macro is great in the
outdoors and feels the most reliable, while the 50/1.2 seems to render
people better. It fondles well... er I mean, yes dear.... Do not let
too much rationalization get in the way of lens lust, ... ah, I mean
lens choices. There is nothing more fun sometime than just taking an OM
with your choice of 50mm for a spin.

The 50mm is also my favorite for doing panoramic stitches. Check
http:\\users.tp.net\wayne\BearLake.html for a sloppy example of bear
lake. I did this quick with the 50/2, hand held. Should have used a
tripod, but it's hard to be in photography mode when traveling with
others.

Also, check out the 50mm ADITL2:
http://www.whitneygallery.com/Olympus2/

Talking is not my strong point either. And have been well informed of
the matter on numerous occasions. I'm also a bumbling idiot, but of
course, only when 'she' is present, otherwise I move with grace and ...

Wayne