Re: [OM] Test & introduction

Subject: Re: [OM] Test & introduction
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 12:32:28 +0000
At 04:25 2/8/02, Larry wrote:
Also, the 50 f1.4 is about $75, and the 50 f1.2 is well over $200. Generally too
big a price difference for the aperture difference.

Larry

If lens speed is the *only* criteria you have a valid point.

However, super-speed isn't the only "desirable" aspect of this lens. Out of five 50mm Zuiko's, three of which are 50/1.4 MC's covering all the serial number segments, the 50/1.2 has proven to be the highest resolving and contrastiest across its entire range compared to the 50/1.4 MC's. It is noticeably so compared to the older 50/1.8 F.Zuiko I used to own. One must project slides from slow film containing high detail levels onto large screens to differentiate them (using a high MTF projector lens). I don't think of its price as having been *only* to gain a half f-stop, but to gain a number of other desirable characteristics that allow high definition large prints.

-- John