RE: [OM] Test & introduction

Subject: RE: [OM] Test & introduction
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 23:33:20 -0600
In the few years I have been on this list, I haven't seen anyone come forth
with convincing evidence that the SN > 1,100,000 have a different coating or
optical formula than those between 1,000,000 and 1,100,000. Gary Reese
suspected there might have been a difference based on slightly better
performance with a later lens, but the differences were so subtle that I
don't believe the case was made. Neither has anyone been able to detect
coating differences on visual inspection.

The multi-coated lenses below S/N 1,000,000 are clearly a different beast.
It is easy to tell by looking that the coatings are different, and
performance appears to be detectably less in these lenses.

I have never tried to compare the images of these lenses myself, so if John
Lind has the energy to undertake the project I'll be anxious to see what he
finds.

Now, everyone send him all of their 'extra' multi-coated 50/1.4 lenses so he
will have a plenty large enough sample group to draw some valid
conclusions.....

Chip