Re: [OM] The Great Bokehhh Debate

Subject: Re: [OM] The Great Bokehhh Debate
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 15:20:29 -0800
At 02:53 PM 2/5/2002 -0800, you wrote:
The quality might be 'overkill' for an OM-1, but not
the price :D . I mean you can get an OM-1 w standard
lens for $150 or less if you look. A new FM10 (which
is a really crappy camera as far as I'm concerned)
with a wonderful 'plastic fantastic' zoom lens for
$250 or more. Today's 'student' cameras just don't
hold a candle to a single digit OM or indeed many
other old all metal all manual cameras.

Agreed. But other stuff's available even cheaper than an OM-1. In my case, I used an Instamatic in my first photo class and I didn't even actually own that--it was a loaner from my girlfriend! And my point is that it was fine for the purpose. I needed _something_ to take pictures with in order to sit in on the class. After that I knew a better camera was required and I began to research it. That's when I met someone who had bought an OM-1 and that led me down my present photographic road.

This summer I spent no small amount of money getting my daughter outfitted with basic OM gear (a 3-lens setup and a Winder 2). Is that overkill? Probably is, but we won't know for awhile. If she doesn't pursue photography at least she'll have quality gear for when she does snap off the idle picture, and who knows, but one day the girl just might be bitten by the photo bug. If and when that happens then she'll have been afforded the opportunity to know the difference between good equipment and the schlock most everyone buys. Whether that'll make a difference I don't know, but as a father it was my call to make and I went that route. I hope for the best.

Tris