Re: [OM] The Great Bokehhh Debate

Subject: Re: [OM] The Great Bokehhh Debate
From: "M. Lloyd" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 15:42:33 -0800 (PST)
I understand definitely where you are coming from,
what I am saying is that it can really be worth it to
spend a little more for some more quality stuff that
you feel confident about that if you shoot with it
won't let you down regarding quality. I mean that if
you use inferior equipment starting out it can sour
you on that hobby or whatnot for a long time. I
started out with that crappy Star-D tripod and I still
don't use a tripod as much as I should because of that
experience even though I have a wonderful Bogen 3021
tripod w 3047 head.

I can imagine getting an FM10 with a soup zoom as your
first SLR could sour one to taking pictures cause
getting it to work and such is a real chore due to the
eye-poking thing, the meter only being activated when
the shutter is depressed and so on... Things you have
to worry about that are superfluous to making a good
photograph (which boils down to apeture, shutter, and
focus). Taking pictures should be an enjoyable
experience almost all the time (if you are a
hobbyist/ameture/ anything but diehard pro) and the
camera should be more of an extension of you and your
creativity rather than a machine of frustration which
places a barrier between you and the picture. Good
cameras (of which OM is one of the best) are vehicles
of expression, bad cameras (such as the FM10 IMHO or a
camera with a 'plastic fantastic' lens) are engines of
frustration.

Mark Lloyd