Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3112

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3112
From: Dorothée Rapp <om@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 13:38:17 +0100

mcd3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Josh
Theres a lot to learn, but don't worry! Thats the fun part.

Like a musician that needs to learn his instrument, a photographer

needs to learn his instrument too. The good thing is that we can make

beautiful "music" while we are learning!

Have Fun
Mike

Great advice (to anyone, I think:))
On the other hand: There is a poster at my violinmakers place, saying:
*Great masters can't play on crap instruments, how then should little children?* (sorry for the certainly bad translation) meaning of course that when you learn, it may also be important do get the feeling and experience of *quality of sound to educate your taste and imagination and not getting frustrated by poor material. Once you got the hang of it you *can play on bad instruments and get the hell out of them to a certain extent just by mental force and by keeping the stradivarisound ;) in mind.
OM-content:
I took just one lens recently on different occasions and enjoyed having no choice :). It does help to forget about material and concentrate on the image. Josh: I too would go for a 28 with the 50, as you have more variety with it than with the 35 and less extremity ;) than with the 24. You can always get those later. Maybe think about a 2/90 Tokina or 2.8/90 Sigma Makro, they can be found a lot cheaper than the Zuikos and with a decent converter you are well equipped for some time!

Have fun
cheers
Doro