Re: [OM] Irony of discontinuing of the OM series

Subject: Re: [OM] Irony of discontinuing of the OM series
From: "Alan" <atk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Jan 2002 19:15:45 -0000
Yawn. There is no irony.

a) The number of prof. nikon user (and users in general) far exceed the
   number of prof.  olympus users if you define "prof" as a heavy user with
   regards to number of pictures taken per year.

b) The price point of this camera is much lower and it contains both
   auto features (aka om4) and manual feature (aka om3) in a single
   body. Please don't bother with a point by point comparison I know
   the om4/om3 have features not found in this body.

c) I doubt this camera has much in the way of new features/innovations of
   the other nikon bodies (fm2, ...) so development/re-tooling cost was
   probably low.

e) My understanding is this camera is not selling well. While a some
   (very few) would abstractly liked to have seen a new om (aka om5) camera -
   I doubt those people would be willing to have paid for such. As you can
   see -- even Nikon with its larger user base is having problems selling
   such a camera at 2/3 to 1/2 the price of the current olympus cameras.

Alan