RE: [OM] Irony of discontinuing of the OM series

Subject: RE: [OM] Irony of discontinuing of the OM series
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:59:46 -0800
I agree. Let's face it, N*kon has made good cameras in the past. The FM3a is a superb camera. It feels great and takes excellent pics. That lever thing Mark mentions is a mess though. As far as focussing screens are concerned, it only take 2 or 3, so not a big selection. I was tempted to get rid of my OM stuff before the FM3a was release. Pre-release BS stated that the FM3a would be a manual revolution. No way. N*kon seems to have a horrible time of completeing a camera design. Whoever screwed up the lever is a goof. OM was designed pretty much perfectly. No one can touch it yet.

-Bill

I don't the lever is a goof on this camera even though I could not use it without using right eye protection. Haven't all Nikon SLRs had this "feature" for years? Nikon would probably face howls of dismay from loyal Nikon buyers who would miss this very convenient feature. Of course I prefer the auto-off of the OM4Ti and I have never had a problem with firing the camera inside the bag. Sort of solution for a nonexistent problem? That was the nice part of Mr. Maitani. He rethought the camera completely without being wedded to legacy design considerations.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California