RE: [OM] Re: Brave New World of Wedding Photography

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: Brave New World of Wedding Photography
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 17:14:34 -0800
There is this mistaken thought process that it is better for
beginning wedding photographers to attain their skillset on
friends and family.  Hardly true.  Best thing to do is learn by
shooting complete strangers.

Place your "paper-plate" on the bulletin boards of every
shopping center, school and hair-salon in your area.  A nice
"low-ball" price and few promises will help get you some
experience.  You will quickly learn how to handle drunken
mothers, pregnant brides and "Jerry Springer" receptions.  But
you will also learn how to shoot with just two or three rolls of
film.  Insist on 1000ayment a week before the wedding.  Plan
on getting the proofs, any "portfolio" prints done for yourself
and then mail the negs and proof prints to whichever half of the
marriage isn't in jail.  Don't ever plan on any reprints or
reprint income.  Best thing to do is wash your hands of the
wedding as soon as possible.

Personally, I don't have time for the above anymore, but it is a
way to get experience on the cheep with little to no risk.

You might want to pack a gun in your camera bag and use a
ficticious address and name, though.

Oh, back to the original question--I agree with another post:
Make her part of the wedding party so it's a non issue and hire
another photographer.  It would depend upon the individual and
their confidence, technical and artistic abilities.  Outline
what your expectations are ahead of time and let her make the
decision whether or not she is capable of delivering the goods.
Insist upon a standard contract, though.  Both parties must be
protected with a contract and agreed upon prices.

I DON'T do family anymore.

AG-Schnozz

Thank you for the insight. Standing on the outside it is very funny. I am sure it is not so funny while enmeshed in the situation.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California