RE: [OM] Re: Brave New World of Wedding Photography

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: Brave New World of Wedding Photography
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 01:31:15 +0000
At 21:29 1/25/02, you wrote:
> IMO, you're taking advantage of your friend. If she really doesn't
> feel like she can do it, she may be afraid to say so for fear of
> letting you down. If she can't handle it, and tries anyway, you'll
> all be disappointed, or worse- angry.

 Oh, she thinks she can do it -- she's already planning on doing someone
else's wedding, and knowing the person in question, I can't realistically
see her doubting her abilities..  I suspect, to be honest, she'd be offended
if we _didn't_ ask her -- but I don't want to end up with things not working
out because she can't manage it but thinks she can; and at the same time I
want to find out some way to phrase this without sounding rude.

Your first problem is contemplating conducting a "business transaction" with a friend. This is a minefield that can result in disaster.

 I guess what I'm trying to get is some sort of questions to ask to make
sure she does know what she's doing, but without sounding as if I'm being
overly negative about her ability.

Ask (or otherwise find out):
(a) What was her "post-grad" study?  What did she photograph and where was it?
    [fine art, still-life, architectural, landscape, commercial, portraiture,
    scientific, etc.]
(b) How much studio portrait experience does she have?
[Traditional formal wedding photographs are "on-location studio portraiture."] (c) How much editorial and/or photojournalism experience covering "events" does she have?
    [Reception photography is much like this.]
(d) What type of equipment does she have and how much of it?
[Strobes, umbrellas or soft boxes, light stands, *powerful* flash (reception),
    backdrops, medium format, backup for bodies, lenses and flash, etc.]
(e) Has she "apprenticed" with a wedding photographer?
    [If yes, for how long (or how many weddings)?]

I don't recommend non-professionals inexperienced in shooting weddings doing it unless the alternative is essentially nobody shooting the wedding.

-- John