[OM] Printing Resolution?

Subject: [OM] Printing Resolution?
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 06:28:05 +0000
I should be grateful for some advice.

I used the photo at
http://www.threeshoes.co.uk/comment/Photo_Comment.html
as the cover for a Christmas card recently and it gave me some problems. The shadow areas, particularly around the baby's head came out with a different reflectivity from the remainder of the photo. In addition, the print showed coloured grain around the baby's forehead (and in other areas).

I used an Epson Photo Stylus 750 at its full resolution of 1440dpi, the resulting print was a bit less than 6" x 4" (10 x 15 cm) in size on Ilford glossy Inkjet paper and the file that I printed had a resolution of 400ppi, scanned from a 35mm negative (Fuji Superia 200). The file does show the grain when I view it at 100%, but not to the same extent.

Can anyone tell me (admittedly not having seen the print ;-)) if I am being fussy, if I underexposed that part of the film too much or if a greater resolution printer would do better?

Thanks

Chris
--
<|_:-)_|>