Re: [OM] Weddings, Funerals, and other Life Events

Subject: Re: [OM] Weddings, Funerals, and other Life Events
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 10:03:38 -0800 (PST)
> This peaked my interest. So you worked for a company
> and they thought your pics were ,"too good" I find
> that kinda difficult to understand. Could you
> elaborate a little?

Sure, I won't identify the company, but they have photographers
in probably the top 75 markets in the US. At the time, there
were four or five of us in Des Moines.  The company had
standardized on identical kits.  Every photographer had Canon
EOS A2 bodies and zoom and macro lens.  The flash was Canon and
we used one of those roboframes.  We also toted studio strobes
and umbrellas.  Nice, portable setup.  Every kit was identical
so we could grab any one in any town and know exactly what was
where.

We had a guide booklet which listed every photograph and how to
photograph it.  The wedding package prices were slightly below
middle of the road and the marketing method was such that they
made their money off of the shoot and didn't really expect many
reprints.  As such, they directed us to "get the shot" but
nothing more.  Time was of essence (contract stated that we were
there for only so long and then we'd charge extra.

I despised the Canon for wedding work.  The lens was a variable
aperture jobby that just wasn't bright enough and the viewfinder
image was so small that I couldn't see the people's eyes in
group shots.  The pre-flash flash was a disaster too.

I was constantly shooting "artistic" shots using natural
lighting from windows, etc., but the bokeh (or lack of) from the
EOS zoom lens was an absolute pain.  The last two weddings I
shot a roll with the OM2S and 100/2.8 just to get some really
nice shots of the bride.

Well, I got called on the carpet on it because "the customer
isn't paying enough for this type of picture".  Evidently, what
would happen is that this couple would show their pictures to
somebody else who would hire this company and that photographer
couldn't deliver the same style of shots.  They wanted a
strictly "Chevrolet" approach and quality to their pictures.  No
garbage, just nothing too fancy.

I got to the point where I had problems shooting the EOS.  Not
only was the lens and viewfinder awkward for me, but the weight
of the rig and the grip shape aggrivated my CTS something
fierce. Halfway through a wedding ceremony my hands were so numb
I was almost dropping the camera.

We parted ways, but I did influence the company in some manner.
I recently came across one of the photographers and he showed me
the new guidebook that had a number of my photographs in it.
One of which was taken with the OM!

Still, it was good experience.

AG-Schnozz