Re: [OM] [OT] (way off topic) Bicycles WAS: Italian trip

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] (way off topic) Bicycles WAS: Italian trip
From: Jim Couch <jamesbcouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 21:24:58 -0800
Actually Suntour was very innovative. They used sealed cartridge bearings before
many in the industry. Suntour was also the inventor of the slant parallelogram
derailleur, probably the true major bicycle innovation of our time. This
derailleur design turned out to be the key to reliable index shifting.
Unfortunately suntour did not capitalize on this. suntour also did not do a good
job of marketing. Other innovations were a ratcheting shifter that balanced the
spring tension of the rear derailleur, and a reverse spring setup on the front
derailleur so that shift lever pulled the same direction to reach high gear as
the rear shifter. They were plenty innovative, just didn't have the marketing
punch to follow through. I would say that the analogy to Olympus holds up rather
well. It is especially notable when you understand that Shimano had more
employees in their marketing OR R&D DEPARTMENTS than Suntour had WORLDWIDE!!!

Jim Couch