Re: [OM] Re: Italian trip

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Italian trip
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:38:46 -0500
On Thursday, January 17, 2002 at 9:21, Sue Pearce <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "[OM] Re: Italian trip" saying:

> "2.    Will I be allowed to use a tripod or monopod in most of these
> places? I am assuming flashes are usually not permitted."
> Here's where some listees will probably part company. Leave them at home.
> You might get by with the monopod, but when allowed (rarely), show some
> consideration for others. there will be hordes of tourists. Some will be
> considerate and step around you, but others will be looking at smoething
> else, and you stand a good chance of being kicked over. whatever the
> situation, you will present a serious roadblock.

Put a ball or handle on your monopod to make it function as a cane to be
able bring it in. The monopod will make every pic sharper, even if you can
manage 1/125.

They usually sell slides at the museum store. Bring a viewer to see the
quality, or take the 50mm lens off your camera.

> "4.    Any other tips, advice or issues related to photography in Italy that
> anyone has?" Take a very wide lens, at least 28, 21 or 24 better. I would
> suggest with the OM, 21/24, 50, and 85 as a good kit. I would leave the
> strobes at home, as there will be little use for them. Unlike Dante, I have
> used a LowePro waist pack. also, follow Dante's  advice about shorts.

Landscapes are often wonderful in Europe, with picturesque ancient ruins or
buildings decorating the scene. Bring a tripod or clamppod.

Bring a shortwave radio if you want to hear news in english once in a
while, or visit the many internet cafés, which are useful for email if you
get a yahoo or hotmail account.

Since you're biking, I'd also advise taking or buying some acetaminophen
for use when muscles or joints hurt. Usually daily for the first week... I
carried an OM4, 21/3.5, 50/1.4, 100/2.8 with me on the bike all the time.
Bring a clamppod to attach (or lay on) handy walls or posts.

tOM
------------------------ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ottawa-photo-clubs
tOM A. Trottier,        ICQ:57647974    http://abacurial.com
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115 N45.412 W75.714
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself --
Henry Miller, 1891-1980