[OM] Glossy Inkjet Papers (was "P400 printers on Yahoo...")

Subject: [OM] Glossy Inkjet Papers (was "P400 printers on Yahoo...")
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 10:05:03 -0600
At 05:08 PM 1/10/2002 -0800, you wrote:
Just returned from Costco, where they had a double pallet load of Epson Photo Paper out along the first main aisle. $19.99 for 100 sheets.
Moose

Epson Photo Paper is a good all-around paper and that's a very good price for it. I found that it printed well with either dye or pigment inks. This is kind of remarkable, since pigs don't really work well with glossy papers. The caveat however is that with pigment ink the EPP doesn't really look quite like a glossy anymore. On some prints where shadows prevail, the look can be sort of foggy.

EPP is a clay-based paper and can hold a lot of ink. Its glossy surface is not really up to contemporary standards achieved by Epson Premium Glossy Paper (the one made of the 1270) and the newest Ilford papers.

The best glossy papers I have ever used are gelatin-sized. They are beautiful and about as archival as one gets in the inkjet world. I've used Xtreme Gamut glossy. I think Luminos makes a gelatin-sized paper too? The new Ilford Galerie series papers are close to this, however, and handle shadows and dark areas better without bronzing. There are two series among the new Ilford papers, each with a pearl and glossy surface. The "smooth" glossy and pearl paper are "microceramic", which I think is a nice way of saying they are clay-based. The Galerie Smooth Glossy is a little fussier to work with than I like, but I think that's because they have improved the paper so much in terms of how well it controls shadows and darks. A well-controlled print on Ilford Galerie Smooth Glossy looks more like a wet darkroom print than anything I have yet seen. It has both luminance and depth. Amazing stuff. Prints dry very quickly but alas they are not archival class papers.

The "classic" Galerie series are a polymer on RC backing and imitate gelatin sizing. The pearl surface in the classic series has been out for a while, but the glossy surface was due out in November, though I have yet to see it either at my dealer or in the B&H website. If it is as good as the Galerie Smooth Glossy as well as archival, I am going to be in hog heaven.

Joel W.