Re: [OM] First Scalas with new Fangs

Subject: Re: [OM] First Scalas with new Fangs
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 00:42:57 +0000
At 02:02 1/11/02, Doro wrote:

A friend of mine (pro photographer) advised me to do so - apparently on 200 contrast and brilliance (which is of course *really amazing when seen with slide projector) gets a little weak. Of course this might be nice sometimes too. I must say I'm very surprised and pleased with the OM4Ti light measuring. I mostly even do get better results without any exp. correction, spot metering and so on.

Excellent results. I've been very happy with Scala 200X also. I've never seen it pushed (used it only at ISO 200), but have been told it performs well pushed up to two stops, and pulled by up to one stop (contrast decrease). You might try shooting it at ISO 200 with a yellow, orange or red filter to see how that increases contrast (subject dependent).

With a medium yellow filter outdoors (the one with a red lightened the barn too much):
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/zi/gallery/contax18.html
[the red filter lightened the barn too much; wish I'd had an orange; I do now!]

With a pale blue filter (to create an orthochromatic effect):
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/zi/gallery/contax19.html

With no filters in a studio under strobes:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/zi/gallery/contax21.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/zi/gallery/contax22.html
  [the black background and her white blouse still have some detail!]

My observations at ISO 200:
Less latitude than Tri-X, but noticeably more than color chromes. Good tonal gradation, again not quite up to Tri-X, but IMO better than TMax. Doesn't go muddy on mid-tones. At ISO 200 its granularity and resolution in use (system MTF) is very nearly that of the ISO 100 Ektachromes and better than the ISO 160/200 Ektachromes.

I'm planning on using more of it outdoors this winter on specific subject material with an orange filter if the weather I would like presents itself (full snow cover and blue sky with cumulus clouds).

-- John