Re: [OM] First Scalas with new Fangs

Subject: Re: [OM] First Scalas with new Fangs
From: Dorothée Rapp <om@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:23:57 +0100
Hello :)

John A. Lind wrote:

(contrast decrease). You might try shooting it at ISO 200 with a yellow, orange or red filter to see how that increases contrast (subject dependent).

I will actually - just got an orange filter. I saw some scalas (projected (ist that the right expression in english ?)) done with orange filter. The pictures look dramatic, but - I find - not unnatural, they get so beautifully intensiv, emotionally...

With a medium yellow filter outdoors (the one with a red lightened the barn too much):
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/zi/gallery/contax18.html
  [the red filter lightened the barn too much; wish I'd had an orange; I

do now!]

Very interesting examples! I can imagine the orange filter would have got you the effect you wanted in this one.

With a pale blue filter (to create an orthochromatic effect):
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/zi/gallery/contax19.html

I don't know much about filters yet (the orange is my first one :) ) and will have to look up what orthochromatic effects are, but I have the impression that this picture has increased sharpness?

With no filters in a studio under strobes:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/zi/gallery/contax21.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/zi/gallery/contax22.html
  [the black background and her white blouse still have some detail!]

wow. Also you *feel skin texture and all the shades in her hair. Looks like the person is sitting in front of me here - not *inside the computer ;))!

I'm planning on using more of it outdoors this winter on specific subject material with an orange filter if the weather I would like presents itself (full snow cover and blue sky with cumulus clouds).

Have fun :) Here you almost never get full snow cover - or only on those days I have to sit indoors and rehearse... ;)

I will try Scala on my Kiev6C though (getting a bit luxurious ;)). Since the lenses are relatively cheap and a friend of mine wanted to get rid of his Zeiss 120 and his fisheye (well, I helped him a little with the eventual decision ;)), I am curious how the light metering will cope. That is, I've got to learn to use it properly...

cheers
Doro