Re: [OM] [OT] two OM items for sale -> browsers -> darkrooms

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] two OM items for sale -> browsers -> darkrooms
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 18:00:05 -0500
On Thursday, January 10, 2002 at 22:01, Bernd Moeller
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] [OT] two OM items for sale -> browsers -" saying:

> Wow. But do you actually work with the aperture wide open? Usually I
> step down my Rodenstock 3.5/50 to f11 or f16 in order to achieve good
> DOF and better consistency of exposure time.

>From http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=001Kur
    "You may be surprised that I suggest using these lenses at full aperture.
    However, diffraction effects swamp improvements in optical distortion even
    closed down a single stop. Howard Bond has done extensive testing in this
    area (as readers of Photo Techniques will recall), and I concur with his
    conclusions. I should also mention that most LF lenses (with the possible
    exception of certain fast -- i.e. faster than f5.6 -- press lenses) are
    sharpest wide open (assuming you have adequate coverage for your chosen
    format at that aperture). If you were comparing prints made with your
    lenses stopped down, you were not seeing either at its best. Try them both
    wide open, compare them against each other and against prints made at
    smaller apertures. Then decide which you prefer. "

There is a lengthy discussion there. The smaller apertures are useful to
lengthen exposure times for easier manipulations.

The diffraction limit in lines per mm is equal to the f/stop times the
wavelength for a high-contrast target:

The diffraction limits in lines per mm for blue and red light are:
F/stop  Blue(400 nm)    Red(700nm)
1.0     2500    1429
1.4     1768    1010
2.0     1250    714
2.8     884     505
4.0     625     357
5.7     442     253
8.0     313     179
11.3    221     126
16.0    156     89
22.6    110     63
32.0    78      45
45.3    55      32
and so on.

DoF doesn't matter for enlarging if the film carrier, lens, and easel are
properly aligned (using levels) and the lens' curvature of field is
minimal, which is normal for an enlarging lens.

Stopping down will usually reduce any disparity in exposure between centre
and edge.

tOM

------------------- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ottawa-
photo-clubs
tOM A. Trottier,        ICQ:57647974    http://abacurial.com
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115    N45.412
W75.714
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself --
Henry Miller, 1891-1980