Re: [OM] 35/2.0 vs 24/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] 35/2.0 vs 24/2.8
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 11:45:04 -0800
-snip.

My current lenses are the 24/2.8, the 50/1.8, and the 135/3.5 (all Zuiko). I find the three make a good set, though a 100 would make a better progression.

I know the Zuikoholic answer is "you need them all," but I would need some pretty strong arguments that the 35 adds _that_ much to the repertoire that it justifies the expense of buying it with the 24 and the 50. Being relatively new to 35mm SLR photography, I think I should spend more time practicing picture composition and lighting effects than choosing lenses, so the fewer lenses, the better (at least for now). And I'll be buying a house this year, so cleaning up outstanding loans and saving for curtains and late-night "home improvements" is taking front stage right now.
-snip
Thanks in advance!
Steve

I will not ignore your message and tell you to buy another lens as some of the pathetic zuikoholic OM heads on the list have already done. :-)

Both the 35/2 and the 24/2.8 are exceptional lenses. A 35 and an 85 or 100 make a nice all purpose pair. The really nice part of the 35/2 is you have its speed and can safely hand hold it at 1/30 of a second making it a wonderful lens for twilight use or inside without worrying too much about tilting perspectives.

However, if it were me, since you have a 50 which is very close to the 35 in focal length I would not make the trade. I have both and the 24 has become the wide angle of choice over the 21 or the 35. Galen Rowell, the famous outdoor photographer, when he was still using single focal length lenses also found his 24 to be his most useful lens. Most of his most famous shots were taken with a 24/2.8 from another maker. Its wide angle is useful equally for those sweeping panoramas of nature and an intimate portrait inside a tent, yurt, cabin or the interior expanse of a cathedral.

Later when you are ready you could trade your 135 for a 100/2.8 without losing much in the transaction.

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California