Re: [OM] 35/2.0 vs 24/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] 35/2.0 vs 24/2.8
From: John Robison <omrobison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 10:54:33 -0800 (PST)
--- Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In trading some (non-Olympus) camera equipment I
> don't need
> complicating life, I have come across the
> opportunity to trade my
> 24/2.8 Zuiko for a 35/2.0 Zuiko.
>
> I'm wondering what this really does for me. Not
> having money to spend
> in this area right now, it pretty much would have to
> be a trade,
> though I would consider getting the 35 and then
> selling either it or
> the 24 off the auction sites (haven't sold before
> and I really just
> don't want to get started). The 35's price is fair,
> not a Fang.
>
> My current lenses are the 24/2.8, the 50/1.8, and
> the 135/3.5 (all
> Zuiko). I find the three make a good set, though a
> 100 would make a
> better progression.
>
> I know the Zuikoholic answer is "you need them all,"
> but I would need
> some pretty strong arguments that the 35 adds _that_
> much to the
> repertoire that it justifies the expense of buying
> it with the 24 and
> the 50. Being relatively new to 35mm SLR
> photography, I think I
> should spend more time practicing picture
> composition and lighting
> effects than choosing lenses, so the fewer lenses,
> the better (at
> least for now). And I'll be buying a house this
> year, so cleaning up
> outstanding loans and saving for curtains and
> late-night "home
> improvements" is taking front stage right now.
>
> Other trading choices are the 100/2.0 Zuiko or a
> Vivitar 75(?)-205
> macrofocusing zoom (knew I shoulda written that one
> down). (N.B. that
> these are not all "even-up" trades for the 24/2.8; I
> probably could
> swing the cash difference between one of those and
> the traded
> equipment.)
>
> So what says the group? I recall a somewhat similar
> conversation
> about wide-to-normal lenses not too long ago, but I
> don't know where
> to find an archive for 2001/2002 discussions. Can
> someone point me in
> the right direction?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Steve

  Well Steve, I have and use both the 24 f2.8  and 35
f2 but I'm with Tom S. on this one, hold fast with
what you have. With what you noted is going on with
your life at this time, a simple three lens kit that
you are already familiar with will make it easier to
concentrate on content, not equipment. Ken Norton and
others on this list have noted that many times it
seems that our photography was better when we didn't
have as much equipment. One of those forehead slaping
moments that changed my perspective and lead me to
pare down my kit.....I'm still waiting for the
improvement in my photography but thats another
story<G>.    John Robison