[OM] 35/2.0 vs 24/2.8

Subject: [OM] 35/2.0 vs 24/2.8
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 11:08:58 -0600
In trading some (non-Olympus) camera equipment I don't need complicating life, I have come across the opportunity to trade my 24/2.8 Zuiko for a 35/2.0 Zuiko.

I'm wondering what this really does for me. Not having money to spend in this area right now, it pretty much would have to be a trade, though I would consider getting the 35 and then selling either it or the 24 off the auction sites (haven't sold before and I really just don't want to get started). The 35's price is fair, not a Fang.

My current lenses are the 24/2.8, the 50/1.8, and the 135/3.5 (all Zuiko). I find the three make a good set, though a 100 would make a better progression.

I know the Zuikoholic answer is "you need them all," but I would need some pretty strong arguments that the 35 adds _that_ much to the repertoire that it justifies the expense of buying it with the 24 and the 50. Being relatively new to 35mm SLR photography, I think I should spend more time practicing picture composition and lighting effects than choosing lenses, so the fewer lenses, the better (at least for now). And I'll be buying a house this year, so cleaning up outstanding loans and saving for curtains and late-night "home improvements" is taking front stage right now.

Other trading choices are the 100/2.0 Zuiko or a Vivitar 75(?)-205 macrofocusing zoom (knew I shoulda written that one down). (N.B. that these are not all "even-up" trades for the 24/2.8; I probably could swing the cash difference between one of those and the traded equipment.)

So what says the group? I recall a somewhat similar conversation about wide-to-normal lenses not too long ago, but I don't know where to find an archive for 2001/2002 discussions. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!
Steve