Re: [OM] 85/2 vs. ... 90/2!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] 85/2 vs. ... 90/2!!!
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 20:59:27 -0600
I agree, they are very different lenses.  The interesting thing, though, is
that they both also excel at what they were NOT intended for.  The 90/2
actually makes a wonderful portrait lens with the smooth bokeh we love in
macro work extending to the portraits. Not as sharp as the 100/2 which
actually may be an advantage for a portrait. It is also a useful short
telephoto. Pretty amazing for a macro lens. The 85/2 accomplishes things
from the opposite direction.  Truly one of the best short telephotos out
there. Small, light, fast -- everything the OM system is all about.  One of
my true favorites and one I use constantly.  As John L. pointed out, it
excels as a macro lens with the addition of an auto extension tube. Also an
amazing feat for a general purpose telephoto.

If I could only have one it would truly be a tough call.  I'd probably go
for the 90/2 as I love macro work, but the 85/2 is a great choice too.

Then there is the 100/2.8, the 135/2.8, the 21/2, the.....

oh, you get the idea.

Tom