RE: [OM] 24 vs 36 exposure debate

Subject: RE: [OM] 24 vs 36 exposure debate
From: gannet@xxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 14:30:23 -0500
> Here's the question I have for you all.  When I was on vacation in taiwan,
> they only sold rolls of 36 in taiwan, there are no 24's, but since I was
> clicking away like an idiot, I was happy to buy longer rolls, so I don't
> have to change as often..  But now, I'm stuck with half a roll of
> 36 left in
> my camera of Fuji Superia, to shoot an indoor luncheon.. arrrg...
>
> So the 24 shot roll offers a better chance of finishing up a roll so I can
> change to something else, but the 36 is a little bit less film to
> carry when
> I'm on vacation..

Go ahead and pull out the partial roll and get it processed.  All you lose
is a buck or so's worth of unexposed film.  Whereas with 24 exposure rolls
you lose that much or more on every roll (based on per-frame cost compared
to 36-exposure).

Let's look at the math.  This is using the B&H price for USA Gold 100
(blech, but a representative film), and the $3 per roll that my local lab
charges for processing.

24 exposures at $3.09 + $3.00 = $6.09 --> 25 cents per frame, 12 additional
frames at this rate would cost $3.04, because you have to pay for more film
and processing.
36 exposures at $3.89 + $3.00 = $6.89 --> 19 cents per frame, but 12 extra
frames cost only $0.80 for the additional film.

18 exposures on a 36-exposure roll at $3.89 + $3.00 = $6.89 --> 38 cents per
frame, but the actual -amount- lost is only $0.80 worth of film.

Adding things up (not all numbers shown here, for brevity) and looking at
overall per-frame rate, even if you bought all your film as 36-exposure
rolls, but for every 5 rolls, did 3 at 36 exposures and pulled 2 at 18
exposures, you'd still be ahead of doing 24-exposure rolls, $34.45 for 144
exposures vs. $36.54.  If you pulled fewer rolls early you'd be even further
ahead.  if you pulled more early, you'd get behind.

So it depends on how often you need to pull film early.  It doesn't happen
to me that often (maybe 1 roll in 10?), but when it does, I don't hesitate
to do so.  Lost photo ops are irreplaceable.

> FUD Dispell::  Someone told me pictures taken from a 36roll is
> worse quality
> than a 24, because of the roll size??  I can't imagine this being true??
> Someone dispell this FUD for me??  Thanks.

Nonsense.  Complete FUD.

Gannet
St. Petersburg, Florida USA
gannet@xxxxxxxx